NHS England have provided us with a list of patients that newly qualify for the ‘at risk’ category, in the next few days, these patients will have a Medical History entry added to their record to reflect this:
Important – We have been directed by NHS England to include the provided reason in Comments for these entries. This can contain sensitive information. For this reason the new entry is being added as a Priority 3 to give you time to review the entry without it automatically being loaded to the SCR when accessed.
By default the History entry will have:
- Event Date – Date the patient was added to the Shielded Patient List (SPL) as provided by NHS England
- Read Term for Characteristic - 14Or.00 High risk category for developing complication from COVID-19 infection
- Comment – Reason provided by NHS England
- Priority – 3
They will be added with a Consultation Type of Administration.
These patients have already been added to the national Shielded Patient List and are due to be contacted by NHS England by the end of this week.
Note – As some of this new information is being extracted from data collected via GPES, this may result in some of your patients having duplicated data on their records. This is unfortunately out of our hands at this stage as these updates are being driven by NHS England.
What do you need to do?
We are currently working on an update of the Coronavirus/COVID-19 Clinical Audit which will be available to download shortly.
This audit will highlight any patients with one of the following codes on their record, but without 9Ej..00 Medical records review recorded since:
- 14Op.00 - Low risk category for developing complication from COVID-19 infection
- 14Oq.00 - Moderate risk category for developing complication from COVID-19 infection
- 14Or.00 - High risk category for developing complication from COVID-19 infection
This should highlight all those patients still requiring review.
Note – The audit is designed to look at the latest entry of these types only.
We have been asked to remind you:
Any patients you locally identified as clinically extremely vulnerable prior to 28 April should now be recognised by the Government support website.
You should have written to all of these patients, using the standard letter previously provided. If you have not done so, please ensure that you write to these patients as soon as possible. Please use this updated version of the letter. This contains the same information but confirms that the Government is currently advising people who are clinically extremely vulnerable to shield until 30 June, subject to ongoing review.
People who you have identified locally and added to the registry will be sent text messages later this week and contacted early next week by the Government support service call centre if they have not yet registered online or by phone. It is therefore critical that you have contacted them to confirm that they have been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable.
We are aware that some people who believe they have registered for support on the website have not received it. We have fed this back to the Government service and are working with them to resolve issues with the website and call centre. Please advise people to re-register ensuring they have entered the correct NHS number on the website and their name and address as used in their NHS records.
We have received a number of queries about the length of time patients should shield for. The Government is currently advising people to shield until at least the 30 June (irrespective of when the letter from the NHS was received) and is regularly monitoring this position. Further information about shielding will be published in due course by Government and individuals currently shielding notified.
As a reminder, the websites below may contain helpful information about these patients/processes:
- Highest clinical risk being advised to shield identification methodology – https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list/methodology
- Shielded patient list guidance for general practice – https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list/guidance-for-general-practice
- Government’s shielding guidance – https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19
Please note - A similar email to this has been sent to hospital clinicians asking them, if they have not already done so, to review their patient lists and identify anyone who should be added to the clinically highest risk registry and advised to shield. We have asked them to speak to any such patients, and to send them a copy of the standard NHS letter, as well as to notify the patient’s GP that they have been added to the list, and to submit a list of additional patients to NHS Digital.